This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Saturday, August 28, 2010

New things in the air...

Lately I have had a realization. I have come to the conclusion that I do not need a fancy mountain bike. I only get out to ride it maybe once every 2 or 3 months. This is unacceptable. The bike in my stable that has the most miles on it this year is my trusty ole' "big red." This is the bike that my daughter and I spend the most time on, and we are on it almost daily. Every time I get big red out, I notice the Gary Fisher just sitting on the rack. So yesterday, I had my moment of clarity: Sell some bikes, cut down the herd, focus on what you do and want to do. It was quite the revelation. So, I started almost immediately. Road bike posted on the local Craigslist, and sold. Now, the Gary Fisher is posted as a frame only for sale along with the Salsa Enabler fork. What is my plan? Once these bikes are gone, I am finally going to build my dream bike, a Surly Big Dummy!

Here is why:

My daughter and I cruise around on big red with her in the iBert kids seat. Amazing, amazing seat! But she is now starting to be almost too big for it. So instead of a trailer, how about a cargo bike. I really want to continue what I have started with my daughter. She absolutely loves being on a bicycle. She is always wanting to take a bike ride. Every morning of my days off, we get on the bike, and first head to the local coffee shop. After a cup of joe for me, and a blueberry muffin for her, we then head to the Little Miami bike trail, to go check out some horses. We just ramble about, naming birds and various animals that we see, all the while smiling and waving at every person that we meet. It is always a great time that I don't want to end. So instead of a trailer, which would dull down the experience, she can have a big girls seat mounted on the back of the cargo bike!

I also have wanted to get into touring, and it seems like the Surly would be an ideal fit. You can carry up to 400lbs, rider weight included, so packing light is not needed. Want to take the coleman dual burner camp stove? Do it!

Cargo bikes just make sense. I need to commute more. I need to drive less. I would love to finally be car free. I think it can finally be attained. We live in exciting times!

So my thought process goes, I sell my GF frame and fork, move the parts over to the big dummy, and also the random parts that I have collected for phase 2 of my fat front project. After everything is sold, I will just need to buy a few more parts, and I am hauling.

As for mountain biking, I havent given up on it just yet. I am planning on making my old Haro (my first MTB) into a full fledged single speed. So a few nicer parts and I will still have a bike for the woods. Maybe eventually buy a Surly 1x1 frame? That would be it.

Exciting times, exciting indeed. Hopefully I can pull it all off before the weather turns cold. Its now time to put my money where my mouth is, and completely live the bicycle lifestyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment