This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Surly Troll vs. Fat Bike...

So now that I have finally secured the funds to start my new bike build, I am unfortunately at another crossroads. This time, I am still leaning towards the Troll, but also leaning towards a full fledged fat bike. I seem to go back and forth with this, over and over, and waiting is not helping me one bit. So, for this installment, here is the next round of my bike comparisons.

As for why I am leaning towards a fat bike, it all started with this:
Gary Fisher Rig SS

This was my first taste of the big wheels. Only ridden around 100 miles, in a haste I dismantled it and sold it off, only to buy another single speed to then sell off, etc. I regretted it after the fact, but hind sight is 20/20 right? Anyway, after riding this bike, I really wanted to try out a full on fat bike. So recently, in my planning stages for the new bike, I found a used Surly Puglsey on the local Craigslist that got my mind rolling on the big wheels again. Unfortunately I was not as quick as I should have been with it, and it sold. So that leads up to the comparison.

We will start with this:
Surly Troll.

This is the current model that I am leaning towards. I will not go into details, since I have talked about this frame numerous times, like here and here. The frame is very versatile, and I feel like it would be a great fit for my riding style, and also the type of riding that I have been doing. Also, it would give me a bike that is ready for the woods, which is what the Xtracycle was lacking, thus it's departure. Two things make me not want to go this route though:

First, there is newer model coming out later this year. From what I have read on a cycling forum, it will be in the fall. The newer model adds bottle/cage mounts on the fork, and another bottle mount on the underside of the downtube. I would like those options, but I am not sure that I can wait until then. Patience is a virtue that I do not possess. This is not a deal breaker for me though.

Second, the Troll fits big tires. I plan on using the 26x2.6 Maxxis Ardents on the frame, should I get it. But this could be the opening of Pandora's Box for tires. It could only lead to wanting a little more rubber (enter "That's what she said" joke here) and the Troll would be maxed out. Not a true fat bike. The Troll would always be lacking in the tire department.

For the fat bike route, I will not go into too much detail again, since I will only be repeating myself. Click here to see my comparison of the Pugsley and the Mukluk, which would probably be the route that I would take. In a perfect world, I would buy both. Hmmm, if only...

The next few days will be tough on the cycling decisions, thankfully that is the worst thing in my life that I have to worry about. For that, I am thankful.

Just keep spinning...

Surly Troll picture from their site, click the link to the right to have your mind blown on their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment