This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Friday, January 6, 2012

New bike thoughts...

So on my last post, I talked a bit about dissembling my HaroX cargo bike, and moving the parts to a new frame. What frame you might ask? This guy:

Surly Troll

That's right, a Surly Troll. If you have read this blog before, you know that I am a big fan of Surly's products. As for the Troll, this is no exception. I was contemplating the Troll when it came out over a year ago, check here and here. It is an amazing frame with lots of options, and most of all, versatility. I will still be able to haul my daughter around, using the free trailer that I picked up this summer. So here is the plan:

Once the new frame is in I plan on taking it over to my father's motorcycle shop to make some changes. First, the rim brake bosses are going to be cut off. I never plan on using them, it will make the bike look cleaner, and it will slightly increase my tire clearance. After that is done, it will be powdercoated. Not going to reveal the color choice just yet, I will keep that a surprise. Once I get the frame back, it will be parts swap time, and time to add some recently acquired purchases. Parts will look something like this:

-Sun Singletrack wheelset
-SRAM X7 shifters
-SRAM X9 rear derailleur
-Shimano LX front
-Avid BB5 disc brakes
-Avid FR5 levers
-On One Mary handlebars
-Salsa stem
-Truvativ FireX crankset and BB
-Shimano XTR pedals

And the new purchases:

Chris King headset
Brooks B17 narrow

Maxxis Ardent 26x2.6 x2

That should round it out. I am really pumped to be building this up. But the question now is: Should I order the frame now, or wait til March when the newer frame starts hitting the shops, with an extra bottle mount on the downtube and the extra mounts on the fork legs? What's a couple more months?

Coming soon...

Troll picture from Surly's site
Other three pics from Google Images

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just stumbled across your blog for the first time and read this entry. Great stuff! I have a Troll and highly recommend it. It's slowly becoming my favorite bike to ride (I've got an Xtracycle and two Surly Cross Checks... one geared and one SS). I just love the way the Troll rides. You won't regret it. My advice would be to wait on those extra water bottle mounts. I've only needed them on one camping trip... but I sure would have liked to have had them. It would have been worth waiting a couple months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Derrick,
    Thanks for reading, good to hear some positive Troll thoughts. I am debating waiting around for the newer frame, not sure that I need the extra mounts. And I am not that patient of a person. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete