This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting antsy... More bike thoughts...

Still have not ordered my new frame yet, but the parts that I have ordered are slowly starting to trickle in. Today welcomed my Chris King headset, hopefully tomorrow the Brooks saddle will arrive so I can start the process of treating the leather.

Photo from Brooks.

If you have ever thought about a Brooks saddle before, you might have read a little about the break in period. Some sources say 250 miles. Others say up to 1000. Some people will tell you to cook the saddle in the oven at low heat for a bit to soften the leather. Sheldon Brown (RIP) preferred to soak leather saddles in some type of oil to soften the leather. Holy crap, lots of options. What is my plan? I am going to go the safe route and follow the directions on the box. Sure, it is probably going to take longer, but it will be done right. As long as the saddle ends up with dimples for my butt cheeks, I am okay with that.

The other thing that I have been obsessing with as of late, is to order or not to order the new frame. The Troll frame comes out of the box with enough rack and fender mounts, etc. to take the bike across the country. The "new" version due in March has even more. So, the question is to wait or not? Do I need the water bottle/anything cages on the fork?

Photo from Welshridething.blogspot.

I like the idea of the anything cages on the fork. The question is: Are they necessary? I am still debating that.

As soon as I can move this, then I can really start the process at full speed. It is weird to think that at this point, I am at any speed but...

2 comments:

  1. Interesting comment on the "New" Troll frame. I've been trying to decide between the Troll and the Fargo. Do you have any other details of changes to the Troll?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "new" version of the Troll will supposedly have bottle/anything cage mounts on the fork, much like the Fargo, and also have one bottle mount on the underside of the downtube. I am starting to think that I can live without those, and I am going to need something sooner rather than later.

    Good luck on your choice between the Fargo and Troll, both are fantastic bikes!

    ReplyDelete