This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Surly Moonlander...

So fresh out of the rumor mill is that Surly has a few tricks up it's sleeve that will be coming out in the next couple of months. There is lots of speculation from lots of folks like myself, but the consensus seems that Surly will be releasing a larger version of their Larry tire, at a whopping 26x4.5. Yes, I said 4.5. As in four and a half inches! That is crazy. And supposedly there will be a frame to handle such a beast. That frame will be called the Moonlander so they say. Now I would like to believe that it will just be a larger version of their famous Pugsley, but Surly likes to be a little different with things. So after looking at a few pictures of some lunar rovers throughout history, it got me wondering if they are going to throw out something completely unexpected. Lets look at some photos:


Lunar rover from Apollo 15.

This picture got me thinking of a four wheel bicycle that I saw not too long ago, can't remember the name of it, but it basically was a four wheeled mountain bike. Independent suspension all around, disc brakes all around, a very interesting dual rear derailleur gear setup, and shod all around in Surly's Larry 26x3.8" tires. It was quite an interesting setup, and I feel like that could be a possibility for the Moonlander. One can dream right? Anyway, I wish I could remember the name of that company, I would like to check out their website again and give them the proper credit...



Soviet Lunokhod moonlander.

This picture is of the Soviet unmanned moon lander. I am not sure how Surly feels about communist Russia, but you never know, this could very well be the inspiration for their new bike. What would that bike be? Possibly an off road, fat tired recumbent? My only reasoning for that is due to the weird frame shapes of recumbents, compare that to some of the weird shapes of different moonlanders out there, and there you have it. I am sure I am way off base with that one, but that would definitely be unexpected.

Another guess that I would love to see, is a fat tired cargo bike, based off of the Big Dummy. That would be amazing, and if you look at the first picture in this post, it might make some sense, then again, it might not.

So what is Surly going to do? Probably just make us wait. I will definitely be watching though, because I am sure it will be an amazing bicycle. And probably a little off of the "norm." Rock on Surly...





No comments:

Post a Comment