This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Just Riding Along... Revisiting the Haro V3.

Now that the Xtracycle has been disassembled, I am back to square one with my old friend, the Haro V3. This bike was my very first "real" mountain bike, from 2003 I believe. This bike has gone through some changes over the years.

For a while it was my MTB, geared with a Manitou suspension fork, and V brakes. That phase traveled from Ohio to Southern California and continued on for a bit. Then, after the Gary Fisher Rig showed up, it turned into a geared commuter with 1.5 inch slicks, then switching back to trail duty as a second single speed. Moved back East, and it found it's way back to the streets, as a single speed commuter, this time with a Salsa steel rigid fork and disc brakes. It hung on the wall of the garage for a time, patiently waiting for parts once again. Finally came the cargo bike phase, via Xtracycle. Now, we are here:


Back to just a frame. What form should it take now?

I have to say, this bike has lasted far longer than I ever would have guessed. I couldn't even begin to estimate how many miles it has logged over the 9 years or so that I have owned it. I am thinking I could piece together a cheap single speed again, but this time run some Schwalbe Big Apples just for fun. Anyway, whatever form this bike takes on, it has been the best $400 that I have ever spent. Thanks Haro!

No comments:

Post a Comment