This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Monday, November 7, 2011

Airborne Bicycles...

Not too long ago, I stumbled upon Airborne Bicycles. They are a relatively new bicycle company based out of nearby Dayton Ohio, that is pumping out quality bicycles at very reasonable prices. How they do it, I am not sure, but for certain I am seriously considering adding one to my current stable. Here are a few that strike my fancy:




Goblin 29er














This bicycle makes me happy. Big wheels from WTB. Front suspension in the form of a Rockshox Reba. Components from SRAM in the 2x10 variety. Elixir hydraulic disc brakes. All together for just $1149.95! That is pretty amazing. I love 29ers, having owned a couple different versions, and their MSRP was definitely higher. Great price on a great bike, which many different magazines are giving great reviews!




Zeppelin Elite














This is another bike that really intrigues me. I have been intrigued by a dual suspension for quite some time, but their prices have always been too steep for me. Plus, after my last MTB being a rigid steel single speed, that really made me start thinking about a dually. Anyway, parts: Rockshox front and rear suspension, SRAM X7 and X9 drive train and Tektro hydraulic discs. Nice parts, all for $699.95! This is the best deal of the bunch in my opinion. Try to find an equally spec'd dual suspension mountain bike for a similar price. I don't think it can be done. Bravo Airborne!





Delta cyclocross













Another great bike of a different variety. A well equipped disc only cyclocross bike. Their site says limited quantity, and after seeing this one I can see why. Great looking bike, makes me want to start 'cross racing. Great package at $999.95!


One thing that might be a deal breaker for some with this company is that they are mostly mail order. Myself, I do not find this to be an issue. I still support my local bike shop by buying the majority of my parts and having things fixed there as well. This type of bicycle sales is great for the consumer, giving us lots of options, which in this case are very affordable. These low prices with a little bit of maintenance knowledge will make for a very enjoyable ride.

These three are just half of the Airborne line up, just the ones that I really, really enjoy. Hopefully this brand sticks around for a while, and from the looks of the reviews, I would imagine so. It is nice to see a somewhat local company do well in the cycling business. Rock on Airborne...

All pictures from Airborne's website.

Ramble on...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cody, thanks for the bike love! Glad you like our stuff.


    You might also be surprised that we completely agree with your "support your LBS" ethic. Fact is, selling bikes is a barely-break-even for bike shops, and has been for the last 20 years according to NBDA (National Bicycle Dealer's Association) reports. So if you bring in an Airborne to your dealer's for professional build-up, s/he actually make more profit than if they'd sold you a similar bike right off the shop floor.

    Hope this helps,

    --rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes sense Rick. On a side note, any plans for a 29er dually in the future?

    ReplyDelete