This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Salsa Fargo for the future?

So lately I have been digging around the interweb, doing lots and lots of searching for my next bike purchase. Cargo bike? Check. Road style bike? Check (Well, at least in the process of building, more on that later...) Dirt ready bicycle? No. So my search begins. But hold on, I need more than just a mountain bike, I need something versatile. Here is what I have been debating:

-Surly Cross Check. Seems like this bike is the jack of all trades, does everything decent, but nothing superbly. I have no real idea on that, I have only test ridden one, but that is the jive that I get from reading various online forums. I like that you can fit fatter than normal tires, but not as large as I would like.

-Surly Long Haul Trucker. Mostly the same as above. But, I think I would be on a 54cm, which would put me into the 26" wheel category, which makes me think:

-Surly Troll. I really like this bike. I feel that it with a set of Maxxis Hookworm 2.5's would be the ultimate road bike destroyer. Or at least would be fun to ride. Big positive for it though is I would only have to buy 26" tubes if I bought one. After riding 29ers in the woods exclusively for the past few years, riding on 26's again might be a little weird, which leads to:

-Salsa Fargo. This bike really intrigues me. Ever since it was introduced in 2008, I have always wanted one. Very cool bike that seems to be ready for whatever. Still somewhat road worthy, but basically a big drop bar 29er mountain bike, with every single braze on one could think of. As of today, this is the bike that I am settling on to round out my stable. This is why:

Most of my riding is on paved surfaces. Every chance that I get though, I am looking for somewhere off of the beaten path. And also, every vacation that my family takes, puts us in a prime mountain biking location, where having a CC or LHT might be a drawback. The Fargo seems to do it all. And now with my feet wet on the touring front, this bike only makes more and more sense. I have thought about a hardtail 29er, but I do not feel that I will be happy on a "normal" mountain bike. Like I stated earlier, I need a bike that is versatile, and I feel the Fargo is it so far. So far for now, that is. I change my mind more than my wife changes shoes...

Ramble on...

No comments:

Post a Comment