This site has moved to Wordpress... click here to go to www.outsidecincy.com

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Riding over Thanksgiving...

Every holiday, or any event for that matter, that my brother in law and I are together, we always try to squeeze in a mountain bike ride. This year for Thanksgiving, we were in Maryland. Our family had rented a cabin to celebrate Thanksgiving, so bikes were brought in just for the occasion.
We were around a mile away from Deep Creek Lake State Park, so we bundled up for the cold weather, and headed out to explore. Once at the trail kiosk, nothing stated that bikes were not allowed, so we figured out our path and headed up the road. Temps were in the low to mid 20s, very chilly, my crotch actually went numb at one point, but the trails were very impressive. After a little road jaunt, we found our fireroad climb to make it to the fire tower. Elevation change was around 500ft for the 2.5 mile climb. Once at the tower we hit another double track that had an interesting railroad tie section, that in the summer would have been awesome, but with a layer of ice was quite tricky. After that trail, came the single track, and I must say it was rocky! I have not seen rocks like that in a very long time. Piles and piles of rocks in the trail. Very cool. Made me work on some slow motion technical riding. Combine the piles of rocks with a layer of ice and leaves, and things can get real interesting. Only one spill for me, which resulted a baseball size bruise on my thigh. Such a great trip, around 10 miles total. Rides like this make me want to be out on my bike every chance I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment